Social Science (SS 905) - Grade 9
|Unit 1||French Revolution : Events, Processes and Consequences||10||Read more|
|Unit 2||Russian Revolution: Events, Processes and Consequences||10||Read more|
|Unit 3||The World War I: Causes, Centres of War and Consequences||05||Read more|
|Unit 4||Inter-War Period (Major forces and related events)||05||Read more|
|Unit 5||Rise of Fascism and Nazism||05||Read more|
|Unit 6||The World War-ll (Causes, Centres of War and Consequences)||05||Read more|
|Unit 7||Evolution of Democracy (Case Studies and Phases)||05||Read more|
|Unit 8||Facets of Democracy||05||Read more|
|Unit 9||Understanding Rights (Meaning, significance and types)||10||Read more|
|Unit 10||Citizenship and Participation Forms and Relevance||05||Read more|
|Unit 11||The Earth (Origin and interior of the Earth. Wegener's Theory and Plate Tectonics)||10||Read more|
|Unit 12||Landforms (Evolution and geomorphic processes)||05||Read more|
|Unit 13||Climate (Atmosphere & World Climate)||05||Read more|
|Unit 14||Global Warming (Climate Change and Global Warming. Case Study)||05||Read more|
|Unit 15||Indicators and approaches to economic development||05||Read more|
|Unit 16||Economies across the Globe Types and Structure||05||Read more|
French Revolution: Events, Processes and Consequences
- The old regime and its rises.
- The socio-economic forces which led to the revolution.
- Role of Philosophers and writers.
- The emergence of revolutionary groups and political clubs.
- Course of the Revolution and major events.
- The emergence of Napoleon Bonaparte as a dictator as well as a modernizer.
- The legacy-On France and on the World.
Russian Revolution: Events, Processes and Consequences
- Autocracy of the Tzars.
- Socio-economic discontent.
- The dress rehearsal of the revolution - 1905 (The Bloody Sunday).
- Course of the Revolution, Role of Bolsheviks, Mensheviks and Red Army.
- February and October Revolutions.
- Role of Lenin.
- The First World War and foundation of the Soviet State.
- Rise of the Communists and Socialists.
- The legacy - On Russia and on the World.
The World War I: Causes, Centres of War and Consequences
- Why it was called a World War.
- Formation of Alliances.
- Factors leading to the World War with special reference to immediate cause.
- Course and centres of the War.
- Withdrawal of Russia and entry of U.S.A. Effects of the War.
Inter-War Period (Major forces and related events)
- The Treaty of Versailles.
- Formation of League of Nations.
- Communism vs. Capitalism.
- The Great Depression (1929-33).
Rise of Fascism and Nazism
- Fascism and rise of Mussolini.
- Nazism and rise of Hitler.
- Character sketch of Hitler and Mussolini.
- Aggression committed by Fascist powers.
- Establishment of a racial state, crimes against humanity and Holocaust.
The World War-ll (Causes, Centres of War and Consequences)
- Causes of the War with special reference to the Policy of Appeasement.
- Course of the War, entry of US and opening of the Second Front.
- End of World War-ll.
- Consequences: - Formation of the UN-
- Emergence of Bipolar World & begining of the cold war.
- Emergence of NAME
Evolution of Democracy (Case Studies and Phases)
- Tale of two countries
- Uganda and Costa Rica.
- Phases of Democracy
- The Beginning.
- Phase of Decolonization.
- Contemporary Phase (Post 1990).
Facets of Democracy
- Direct and Indirect (Switzerland and S. Africa).
- Why indirect democracy?
- Forms of Democracy
- Parliamentary form (UK and India).
- Presidential form (US).
Understanding Rights (Meaning, significance and types)
- Defining Rights.
- Need and evolution of rights.
- Types of rights: Human Rights, Constitutional Rights, Child Rights.
- Rights and Responsibilities.
Citizenship and Participation Forms and Relevance
- Citizens, Subjects and Aliens.
- Participation: Direct and Indirect.
- Direct Participation
- Universal Adult Franchise, Elections.
- Indirect Participation
- Role of interest and pressure groups, public opinion and mass media.
The Earth (Origin and interior of the Earth. Wegener's Theory and Plate Tectonics)
- Origin and evolution of the Earth.
- Sources of information of the Earth's interior
- direct and indirect.
- Three layers of the Earth.
- Natural phenomena
- Earthquakes : Intensity and magnitude, warning, causes and impact.
- Tsunami: Causes and Consequences.
- Volcanoes: Types and their effects.
Landforms (Evolution and geomorphic processes)
- Landforms and evolution.
- Geomorphic processes: Weathering, Mass wasting, Denudation, Erosion and Deposition.
- Soil formation.
Climate (Atmosphere & World Climate)
- Atmosphere: composition and structure.
- Insolation and Temperature Zones.
- Pressure belts and wind patterns.
- Precipitation and types.
- World Climate Types.
Global Warming (Climate Change and Global Warming. Case Study)
- Factors leading to climate change.
- Global Warming:
- Green houses gases
Indicators and approaches to economic development
- Concept of economic development.
- Indicators of economic development:
- National Income (Nl) approach.
- Human Development Index Approach:
- Per Capita Income
Economies across the Globe Types and Structure
- Types of Economies.
- Structure of Economy.
- Free Market and Planned Economy.
- Depression (1929-33)
- Causes & Impact.
- Rise of Mixed Economy.
- Challenges before the Developing Economy
- Food Security